Thursday, December 2, 2010

Day 27: Letter to the Friendliest Person I Knew for Only One Day

Dear Mister,
Years ago, I was traveling back to Louisville after visiting a college friend in Tennessee. I had already been stuck where I was due to car trouble. I had just enough gas money to get home. I am driving along, and guess what? I ran over a dead animal in the road. POW!!! My tire blew. This was the 1st time this had happened, I’d never changed a tire, I didn’t have AAA yet, and so I was sitting on the side of the road. I was pulled over for only about 30 seconds with my head in my hands…when you pulled up behind me in your old beat up Toyota Camry. You and your very young son got out of your car, walked up to my passenger window and asked if I was okay. I wasn’t. You said you saw what happened, had noticed my Louisville Cardinal license plate, you were originally from Kentucky, and wanted to know if I had a spare tire. I did but was very weary. You changed it and then asked how much further I had to go. Once I told you I still had a couple of hours, of me having to fix my car, I had no money, you simply said to please follow you because there was no way I would make it back on that spare tire. I was in the middle of nowhere, you were a stranger, and I was very scared. But you did have your son with you, you were kind, I had 911 set on my phone, and I did need help. So I followed you carefully to a service station. You bought a decent used tire to put on my car and gave me your number so that I could call you once I made it home, just so you would have peace of mind. I was grateful and thankful; you were my angel that day. I did call you once I made it home; I got your address, and sent you your money back even though you told me not to worry about it. You went out of your way to help me that day; you could have kept driving like all the other people. I know I never have stopped on the interstate to help someone, and more than likely never will. I have never forgotten you and I sure hope you have been blessed. The kind act that you made is one my father would have done as well. I am sure he was watching over me. Thanks again.
Thankfully,
Misty

1 comment:

  1. This happened to me once, too.
    Reminded me there were still good people out there!

    Read all 30 letter today...loved each.

    Hope the writing, and putting it out there, did something good for your soul!

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete