Monday, November 1, 2010

Day 1: Letter To My Best Friends

Dear Jami and Tiff

The 2 of you have been there when I need you for over 10 years now. You each are so different and unique in your own way that provides to me what I have always needed in a best friend. Jami I have known you since middle school at Crawford but we quickly became best friends freshman year in high school. Tiff I met you thru Jami sophomore year in high school. I know between the two of you, all I have to do is make a phone call and you will be by my side.

Jami. Where do I begin? I have so many memories. J I remember we would sit together during lunch with Whitney b/c the 3 of us brought our lunches from home freshman year. We instantly bonded when we realized the first thing we had in common was the type of men we liked to date. LOL. Soon, you began dating Aaron and I Rob. We would both sneak to meet them. The countless nights of telling our parents we were together at the movies, skating, bowling, hanging out, etc. Good thing cell phones had just became so convenient! You even got your phone & car taken away, so I would come pick you up in mine. By our senior year prom, we both went with our boyfriends. Aaron and Patrick. Both of our parents (grandparents) knew who we went with and the struggle we endured to that point was worth proving to our families that race didn’t matter. Thank goodness none of those men are in our lives anymore! Trial and error?? Haha. Then came college and we stayed as close as ever. We visited often: 4th Street Live, sleepovers, Halloween, Birthdays (even my bday when we fell out for a few months b/c the cake was left in the trunk & I told you that acting dumb wasn’t cute and when would you grow up! OMG! Sorry!), Avio, and Spring Break in Florida. We have always talked alike; now we think alike, and we can give/take criticism from one another without feelings being hurt. When things went bad with Aaron, you weren’t always able to tell me because I think you know I would have been back in Lex from Louisville in a heartbeat! But when Barry came along and he treated you so good, you got preggers with Peyton, married Barry, birthed Peyton, and are now raising your family - everything else I have mentioned seems to have faded away because we are always so busy planning our futures. I am so proud to have stood by your side thru it all and boo hoo’d thru your wedding. I cant wait til I can be married, we both have children, and they grow up together so we can make more memories to cherish!

Tiff. You are a mess. Have been since day one and I love you for it. J I remember coming to your birthday party out east and realizing we lived in the same neighborhood in Eastland. From that time forward, you were the one I could always run to and tell everything to without ever one time feeling judged. Everything from boy troubles, to needing somewhere to stay, to riding wherever, to backing me up. At the end of high school you transferred to Henry Clay but you always stayed in touch. I always got calls from you at all hours of the night and would listen in my sleep because you knew I would always be there. The other birthday you had that was off the hook and I was the only good one, still brings laughs when I think of you, Ebony, Markeith, Bondo, and your people. All the hard times you had with Tonio and others, seems like you have always and will be the Queen! Haha. The one time we fell out was when you weren’t taking your meds and wanted to end your life. I maybe wasn’t very supportive and said things along the lines of you needing to stop being selfish & that you knew better. You have come so far from that! Plus, God Bless Ms. Kathy! When I got the call that you were preg with Kayla and I had never met her daddy - I was crushed. But when I moved home for that summer and was able to be one of the baby mama’s and be there for you ALL night while in labor with her, made it all ok. We ate Taco Bell every single day and it was yummy! We listened to Mariah Carey everyday and to this day, out of the womb, she knows those songs! I am her ho ho. Since then you have had several ups and downs with health, jobs, men, money, housing, cars, etc. But anytime you have needed me or anything, I have done my best to take care of that need and I take pride in that. This past winter/spring when Lenny moved here, you were there for me for a change. Always a shoulder I could lean on, a ride for him to work, or when my car broke down, or when I needed to vent. You are the ONE person that knows every single thing about me both good and bad. Thank you for always listening and giving me advice with never a negative attitude and encouraging me that this storm too shall pass.

I have many good and true friends that I have met along the way; but you two are the ones who’ve been there since the beginning and I love you both very very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment