Thursday, November 4, 2010

Day 4: Letter to One of My Siblings

Dear Sister~

We have 3 half brothers and 2 half sisters, but I am most closest to you. Jerold passed away in 2003, he would have been 47 this year. Big Sissy (Bernadine) who is 43 and lives in Lincoln, NE. Wade who is 39 and lives in Las Vegas, NV. Our “new” brother Lawrence lives in NE as well. And our “new” sister Teresa lives in CA. You are the baby of us all. As children, you always called me Sissy. After throwing several fits as we got older, you finally starting calling me Misty. But in high school, we starting calling each other “sister” LOL and we still do!! Many people say we look alike, but neither of us ever see it.

Growing up: we played barbies, baby dolls, doctor/patient, you sang Billy Ray Cyrus on your Karaoke machine, colored, customer service/customer, we went to the bathroom with each other, you were a couple of years behind me in school - so I would teach you what I knew, and we of course fought too. I remember when mom and dad separated, I had some anger issues and would chase you around and beat you up. So sorry! We both were well behaved for the most part, and when we weren’t and dad had to tell us more than once, we got whoopings. Sometimes I even resented you because I felt as if expectations were higher for me and you got away with everything. Dad was hard on me and you hid behind mom. But now we both know the reasons behind you getting off the hook more often. I wouldnt change a thing, they helped mold us to who we are.




Teenagers: As much as you wont like to admit it, you admired me. Haha. You liked hanging around my friends, we went to Champs religiously, I taught you how to do your make up correctly, and you even kept all of my secrets. You also got on my nerves and we bickered a lot. Then we sort of went our own ways with working, friends, and dating. You had always been a momma’s girl but after dad passed, she and I grew closer, leaving you jealous at times. When I went off to college, she helped to provide some things for me. At times, you would get your infamous attitude. One time in the mall at JCPenny, you punched me in the stomach going up the escalator and I in turn slapped you across the face. That same day, mom and I left you at the mall because you had gone off crying and pouting somewhere. You had a friend come get you while mom and I went to another store elsewhere. When we got home, mom threw all of your clothes into the parking lot….and ran over them back and forth…with her car!!! LOL!!! You then went and stayed with Renee for awhile. We can look back now and laugh. Or at least I can.

Adults: You are now married with children. A great husband and the 2 most wonderful little boys in the whole entire universe!! Remember at your rehearsal, moms queue came on to Boyz II Men’s “Momma”, you had tissue on your foot, I burst out crying with emotion, and couldn’t spit out what I was trying to tell you?!? But what I knew, that no one else did: you were several weeks pregnant. You ended up losing that baby soon after. Not much longer, and you were preg with Tyler. Justin went over seas, you moved home from VA Beach, and I got to be in the delivery room to video record his birth! One of the most amazing experiences in my lifetime. These past 5 years have brought us even closer than ever. Tanner has been here 2 years now and he is the most handsomest boy ever. Thank you for them. At times when I was down, their smiles made every bad day all better. They weren’t only blessings to you and Justin, but to me too. I love them as if they were my own. For all the arguments/disagreements we’ve gotten into, there are times when we have been there for each other in every way. Neither of us are perfect although we try to be - my stubbornness and your know-it-all ways clash often. Sometimes we argue, sometimes we get on each others’ nerves, and sometimes we don’t speak. BUT most times we laugh, hang out, advise each other, confide in each other, and support one another.

It used to always be just the 3 of us; mom, you, and I. Our families live far away and all we had was each other. We share a bond that many families don’t have or some people may not understand. You also introduced me to a wonderful church family. Thanks to True Life Church, I have come to know God, not just know of Him. I hope my relationship with Him continues to grow.

I could never ask for a better sister and best friend. I love you baby sister!!!

Love Always,
Sister

No comments:

Post a Comment