Saturday, November 6, 2010

Day 6: Letter to Strangers

Hello Strangers:

There are many types of you, each with your own lives. I see it all and go about my way. Here are some I have passed along the way:

I see you at the store. I see your cart is full. I see you yelling at your children. I saw you drop that jelly and it shattered. You look tired. That lady looks happy, hand in hand with her boyfriend. Your kids are running around in peoples way. I’m glad its not the first of the month! That child is crying because he wanted a toy. Your hands are too full, you should have gotten a cart. Your husband forgot an item and so you had to run to the store after work. Men. You scan my groceries and take my money. You bag them and take them to my car. Thank you.



I see you in traffic. I see you at a stop light picking your nose. I see you texting and driving. I see you driving while putting on your make up and talking on the phone at the same time. I can hear your music because your stereo is up entirely too loud, how rude. I saw you run that light. I saw you pass me as if I were standing still. You should slow down. I couldn’t tell if your seat belt was on, you were going too fast. I pray that it was. All of these things are careless and can harm someone. Please pay attention.



I see you walking down the street. You are pushing a cart, that is your home. I see you picking up cans, you need extra money. I see your long beard, you haven’t shaven in months. You have family, but you don’t want their help. You have no one to depend on, you’ve been disowned. I see you need food. I see you have a drinking problem. I see you standing on the interstate with your thumb up, my father would have given you a ride, but I am too scared. I see you standing there with a sign panhandling, yet you don’t look like you need any money.

Sincerely,
a stranger to you too

No comments:

Post a Comment